A message from LCA Bishop Rev John Henderson
Many of us are wondering what happens now. The Synod has clearly asked our Commission on Theology and Inter-Church Relations to prepare a doctrinal statement for the ordination of women and men, and explain why it need not divide the church.
- During 2016 the CTICR prepared a preliminary draft.
- In November 2016 a project officer (Mr Timothy Pietsch) was appointed to organise the church-wide consultations on the preliminary draft.
- The consultations ran from March to October 2017. They were widely advertised and were open to all pastors and members of the LCA/NZ.
- In October 2017 the OWL website re-opened for comments (OWL for Everybody) and the posting of papers (Digging a Little Deeper).
- In early 2018 the CTICR will complete its work on the preliminary draft for presentation to the General Pastors Conference in July.
- By the time the draft reaches the General Convention of Synod in October 2018, delegates and members of the LCA/NZ will be familiar with its contents and will have had ample opportunity for reflection and comment.
I pray that while this work is going on we will receive grace to apply the principles of mutual respect, listening, and patience that delegates learned and practised leading up to and during the 2015 Convention.