For God’s guidance, love and humility
- Dear Lord, thank you for the promise of your presence in all the turmoil and struggles
that recur in our lives. Just as the Israelites were not spared the wilderness wanderings
and just as the early Christians suffered so much for their faith in you, neither are we
protected from today’s social upheavals. Lead us, sustain us, and encourage us. Bless
us in our quiet times as we meditate on your life‐giving Word, and give us your wisdom
and grace in all we undertake. Amen.
- Direct us, 0 Lord, in all our doings, according to your bountiful grace, and support us
with your continual help, so that in all our works begun, continued and ended in you,
we may glorify your holy name and finally, by your mercy, obtain everlasting life;
through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- God, you make all things work together for good to those who love you: Pour into our
hearts such love toward you, that the pure desires which have been stirred up in us by
your Spirit may not be spoiled by any temptation; through your Son, Jesus Christ, our
- Lord, you have taught us that, without love, all our doings are worthless. Send us your
Holy Spirit and pour into our hearts the gift of love. Help us not to envy, boast, be
proud, rude, or self‐seeking, be easily angered, remember wrongs, or delight in evil.
Help us, rather, to be patient and kind, to rejoice with the truth, to bear, trust, hope,
and endure all things. When we fall, raise and restore us by your love in Jesus Christ, in
whose most holy name we pray. Amen.
- Father in heaven, you resist the proud and give grace to the humble. Grant us true
humility like that which was revealed in your Son, that we may never become puffed
up and provoke your wrath, but in all lowliness be made to share in the fruit of your
Spirit, through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- Heavenly Father, you inspired the writers of the Scriptures so that your word would
come to us. Thank you for the opportunity to study your word and the important issue
of the ordination of women. Bless our study. Make us ready to listen attentively, think
clearly, speak carefully, and to discern your will for our church. In Jesus’ name we pray.
- Lord, Holy Spirit, you have guided and protected the church in every age. As we now
study the question of the ordination of women, direct our discussions and show us
God’s will. Help us be courteous and kind to one another, even if we disagree. Give us
the strength to resist all temptations to dominate or desert, to control or coerce, but
rather guide us and the whole church into the truth in a spirit of love. Through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.
- Almighty and everlasting God, you want all people to be saved and to come to the
knowledge of the Truth. Grant us your Holy Spirit, so that as we consider and debate
various aspects of the Office of the holy Ministry, we may not be a cause of offence to
the unbelieving world by our disagreement with each other. Give us love for you and
your word which shows itself in love for one another, so that the world may believe in
your Son. We pray through Him whom you sent to the world, full of grace and truth,
Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.
- Lord God heavenly Father, through your living, Spirit‐filled word you guide your people
into all truth and bring glory to your Son. Send us your Spirit of truth, that He may
guide our presidents, pastors, theologians, teachers, and all your people as they
consider and debate the issue of the ordination of women to the Office of the holy
Ministry. Give us hearts and minds which are devoted to you. Help us to come to
agreement on the basis of your word. Give us that unity of purpose which brings glory
to you. We pray through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- Lord God, from whom all holy desires, all good purposes, and all right works proceed:
Give to your servants that peace which the world cannot give. Defend us from the fear
of our enemies, and set our hearts to obey your commandments, so that we may live on
earth in rest and quietness. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Saviour, who lives and
reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.